What is fear, really? “An unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm.” It’s just an emotion, sometimes strong, sometimes not. Why are we so affected by it? Why do we let it rule our lives and tell us what to do and what not to do?
Fear can be very useful when we need to flee from danger. However, more often it paralyses us when what we really need is to act.
I have recently watched a movie called “Arrival”. It’s about the power of communication and the value of human contact and unity. What struck me the most is the behavior of a woman-scientist. She was extremely scared, it was obvious, but it didn’t stop her from stepping forward and going into the unknown. As a result of her conquered fear she was able to save humanity from destruction.
In our life and business we face much simpler tasks and dangers. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that our fears have no power to cause destruction. The scale is smaller, of course, but the importance and the aftermath for each of us is huge sometimes.
Are you scared of a new job or a new position? Are you afraid to make that step and finally start a business? Are you horrified that she might say “no” if you ask her out? Overcome your fear and make that next step. Ask for a raise. Change the job. Start a company. Propose. Go on a journey. Take a course. Invest. Live. You’re worth it!
It’s an International Women’s Day today. Did you know? The world is celebrating all women, not just mothers, and it’s a great thing. No offense to you, guys. Men are very important, but we’ve known that already, right? The majority of cultures in the world are patriarchal, so men established their influence and importance long time ago. Although, women started defending their rights only in the past few decades.
I wish all women to believe in their great potential, wonderful gifts and talents, abilities and strengths. I wish us all to unleash our creativity, use our potential and do our best to change this world for better. Steve Jobs said that only those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. I believe we can, ladies! Let’s do it!
I wish all men to appreciate their women, see their wonderfulness, and regularly tell them about it. Let her blossom! If your woman flourishes, your life will change, and your success will soar! I dare you to try.
Have I already told you about the “Miracle Morning’ book by Hal Elrod? It will be surprising if I haven’t. Last summer I stumbled upon this book in one of the articles on the Internet. It was recommended for those who want to become more disciplined, take hold of their life and improve productivity. I had recently started my business and it was just what I needed.
As it turns out, the inspiration that we get from reading self-help literature usually doesn’t last long. It’s crucial to keep reminding ourselves of our vision, mission and goals in life. Only constant focus on my main purpose helps me beat the desire to sleep in the morning. Sometimes the battle is agonizing. Sometimes the bed is too luring for me, and it wins the battle. However, when I remember what drives me in this life, why I was created in the first place, it’s easier to fight and win.
As soon as the battle is over and the morning begins, everything is easy. Hal Elrod gives several very important tips on how to start our day right. Some of these tips include drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning, forget about the snooze button, create our personal morning routine, etc. These are not new ideas or techniques, but he explains everything in a very motivational way.
If you haven’t read this book and would really love to change your life, become more productive, successful and just plain happier – read it by all means!!! And what’s more important, start implementing it right away. You will see changes in your life, I have no doubt in that!
If you’re an achiever like me, you will understand this obsessive need to always stay productive. We all know that relaxation and distraction are important for our brain. Although, a lot of us keep feeling guilty when we’re not doing something related to work or personal development.
So, there are solutions for people like us. We can combine rest and work. You might tell me it doesn’t work because we should completely focus whether on one thing or on another for them to be effective. And I will disagree. It’s pretty easy to do both things if your work doesn’t require a lot of thinking and your entertainment is not too distracting.
Here are a few ideas:
1. You are watching a movie with your friends, family or by yourself. You have seen this movie before or it’s so light that it doesn’t require a lot of attention to keep track. So, you find some work to do that also doesn’t require too much thought. It could be typing in some information, ironing, folding, cleaning your inbox, reorganizing your desktop or folders in your computer, editing pictures, etc.
2. You’re out with friends or family and have to wait for someone in the car or at the lobby – get a piece of paper and a pen or open your smartphone. But don’t go to Facebook or Instagram. This is the time for brainstorming ideas, writing to-do lists or making preliminary plans. You will have to review everything you’ve written later, but this will be a great start.
3. Are you flying internationally or waiting at the airport for your next flight? Reading is a great and a very productive way of spending this precious time. You can also write blogs or make notes for future projects if you’ve got a few hours of uninterrupted time. I am actually writing this on the plane from Minneapolis to Amsterdam.
4. There are a few applications for smartphones that I consider very useful. They can be entertaining as well as very helpful for our personal growth and development. My favorite ones are Lumosity and Elevate. You can use any game that helps learn a language or develop some skill. It’s fun and productive!
5. And the last one is really important because it requires a change of our mindset. When you’re watching a movie, traveling to another country, resting on a beach, eating at a restaurant, be always on the watch for ideas. They are all around you, you just need to open your eyes and be ready to see them. Keep record of all ideas that come to your mind even if they seem crazy or mundane. One day you might get back to them and find a genius one that you discarded before.
See? Our vacation time can be very productive and effective. Don’t waste your time in life, we haven’t got that much of it. Having said that I’ll add that it’s absolutely crucial to find some time for relaxation, distraction and unwinding. Our brain needs that to be able to function normally and generate ideas.
Enjoy all your weekends and vacation time, and learn how to put off work and just rest sometimes.
It’s very simple – just be thankful for everything that you have in your life. You might think – well, what’s the point, I AM thankful.
Here’s the deal – next time something bad or stressful happens in your life, stop all your negative thoughts before they destroy you and deliberately start thinking of everything you can be thankful for. You might not feel that way at first, it doesn’t matter, just do it. Start making a list, whether it’s in your head or on a piece of paper. It will distract you from negative thoughts and show how wonderful your life actually is!
There’s great power in being grateful! Let’s tap into it!
Have you ever had a desire to invent something unique and unbelievably useful? Something that would save people’s lives or make our lives easier and better. I’ve had this desire for a long time but haven’t come even close to inventing or creating anything. Do you think we should drop this kind of thinking and just live our lives like anybody else? Is there any use in trying to achieve something great, always longing for a bigger dream?
If you’re reading this, chances are you have the same feelings and the same aspirations. Tell me your thoughts in the comments, and maybe we can help each other. What would you like to achieve, in which field? Is it the area of your expertise or an absolutely new sphere of interests?
Even though I ask these questions and sometimes do have glimpses of doubts, still I am convinced that dreaming big is wonderful. It gives us a sense of purpose in life and leads us through the obstacles. It inspires us and lights the way when everything seems dark and impossible.
Let’s dream big!
Do you ever feel that the big win you are working towards is so far away that it’s hard to even imagin you’ll get there one day? It might even stop motivating you or even discourage you to keep moving at all.
The solution is very easy – start counting your small wins. Celebrate them with your friends or family and keep going. While you’re collecting your small wins, they are becoming your building blocks for the road that eventually will bring you to the big win. Just keep going!!
Baby steps! One foot in front of another.